Sunday, May 31, 2009

How to Choose the Right Visa For Your Move to Mexico

You have a few options to consider when you are deciding on what Visa to get for your move to Mexico. The three most popular types of Mexican Visas are the FMT, FM2, and the FM3.

The FMT Visa is what you get anytime you enter Mexico from the US. It is easy to get, and the paperwork will be handed to you on the plane as you are flying into Mexico or as you're crossing the border. This is the easiest Visa to acquire but also comes with restrictions. First of all you are usually only allowed to stay in the country for 180 days. If you are given less than 180 days on your FMT you can get an extension at an immigration office. The FMT is a tourist Visa but many people simply make "border runs" every 180 days to get a new FMT, while living full time in Mexico. If you are planning to live in Mexico for the long term, you will most likely want to consider getting an FM2 or FM3. You are also not able to move your belongings into Mexico with an FMT.

The FM2 Visa is for becoming a citizen of Mexico. It will generally take 5 years to become a citizen you are given your FM2, and you can not apply for a FM2 in the US, you have to go to an immigration office in Mexico. The FM2 allows for permanent residency but generally people moving or retiring to Mexico will want to get an FM3, which is cheaper to get and maintain.

An FM3 Visa allows you to stay in Mexico without making border runs every 180 days, it also makes it easier to set up utilities for your house, open a bank account, and move all your belongings from the US to your new home. Getting an FM3 is much more complicated compared to getting an FMT, and will require going to your local (or not so local) Mexican Consulate in person to fill out a lot of paperwork. Each consulate may have different rules so it's hard to say exactly what will be required of you. In general they want to see proof of income of $1,000 to $2,000 per month, or more if you have any dependents. Some Consulates also may only give an FM3 to people over the age of 55, while others don't have an age limit. Everyone's experience is usually different when trying to get an FM3.

If you are moving to Mexico you need to consider what Visa is right for you. If you don't have to move your belongings down to Mexico and aren't planning on staying for the rest of your life, you may be able to get by with the standard FMT. However, if you want to move your household items to Mexico you will need an FM3, which also comes with the added benefit of not having to go to the border every 180 days.

Jason helps people who are moving to Mexico by walking them through what can be a very complicated process. If you are considering a move to Mexico and have questions about getting your FM3, creating your Menaje de Casa, or have any other questions about your move, he can help. Mexico Moving Company provides door to door moves from all over the US and Canada to anywhere in Mexico.

Article Source:


  1. I loved as muсh as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

    Feel free to surf to my webpage :: instant cash loans
    my web site - instant cash loans

  2. Thаnκs for ѕharing your info. I truly аppreciаte yоuг effοrts and I will be waіting for youг next write ups thank you once аgain.

    Here is my web sitе ... Instant Payday Loans

  3. Grеate аrtіcle. Keep posting ѕuch kind of
    іnfοrmatіon оn yоur blog.
    Im rеallу imрrеssed by yοur blog.

    Thаnκs for shаring youг thoughtѕ on keyωord.

    Have a loοκ at my blog; Payday Loans


I thank for the comment!