Finding the right injury lawyer for your case is very important and can mean the difference between winning and losing. During your first meeting with any attorney, ask the following questions to help you decide if he or she is the right personal injury lawyer for your case.
1. How long have you been practicing personal injury law?
With so much at stake, the last thing you want to do is hire a novice.
2. How many cases similar to my own have you taken to trial or settlement?
A seasoned injury attorney will have handled many cases like yours to trial and/or settlement. The number of cases an attorney has taken says something about his or her skill and success rate.
3. Are personal injury cases like mine the main focus of your practice?
The personal injury attorney you hire should have a history of focusing on the subject matter involved in your claim. Though general practice attorneys are good for many things.
4. Will you use other attorneys or paralegals on my case?
If the attorney you are talking to has a legal staff working for him or her, it is important that you meet them and decide if they are an asset to your case.
5. Whenever you're unable to answer the phone, how soon can I expect you to return my call?
A good lawyer should return your call no later than 24 hours. Whatever the return call policy of your chosen lawyer, have it written into your retainer agreement to ensure compliance.
6. Will you take the time to help me understand all of the court procedures, legal concepts, fee arrangements, billing practices, retainer agreements, and payment of costs?
Even though an attorney is busy with many things, he or she should always take the time to answer a clients questions.
7. What methods or strategies will you use in handling my case?
A seasoned New York personal injury lawyer should have an organized process for "working-up" cases like yours. The amount of detail that goes into the attorneys process is an indicator of his or her organization skills and knowledge of the laws pertinent to your case.
Get more information on a NYC Personal Injury Lawyer