A Happy Valley man indicted on child pornography charges and who reportedly expressed an interest in torturing and eating children may never get to trial.
Attorneys in the federal child porn case are reviewing computer evidence with an interest in negotiating a resolution to avoid going to trial, according to court documents filed Thursday in U.S. District Court.
|Jason B. Scarcello|
If convicted, Scarcello, who has pleaded not guilty to the charges, faces five to 20 years in prison, as well as a $250,000 fine.
He was arrested in July after federal agents executed a search warrant at his Happy Valley residence and discovered CDs and DVDs containing violent and sexually explicit images and videos of children.
Authorities also have said he engaged in online chats in which he discussed torturing and eating children.
Scarcello's attorney, Thomas A. Johnson, has admitted the chats were "disturbing and bizarre," but claims that they were also only fantasy, not reality.
Scarcello was one of 43 people arrested as part of an international child pornography investigation after authorities said they found violent child pornography on his computers.
According to a search warrant affidavit, suspicions about Scarcello arose after investigators determined he had engaged in computer chats with a previously charged suspect in Kansas, Michael Arnett.
From August 2010 through March, Scarcello and Arnett allegedly discussed the abuse of child victims via computer chats.
According to the indictment, Scarcello also used a file-sharing program between April and June to download movies depicting the sexual exploitation of children.
Scarcello remains in Sacramento County jail without bail.
By Jim Schultz
Source: The Record-Searchlight